Today, Tanzania’s Minister of Health announced five new confirmed cases of the Coronavirus in Tanzania, raising the total cases to 32. She also confirmed two additional deaths in Dar es Salaam, bringing the death toll to three. The National Council for Tanzania and its Task Force urge all Jamati members to take all necessary preventative measures to protect yourself and stay safe. These include:
- Wear a disposable/reusable mask at all times in public places, as per the new Government guidance.
- Frequently wash hands thoroughly with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after returning home from public places. Use hand sanitizer when soap and water is not available.
- Practice social distancing by maintaining 2-3 meters between you and others in public. Avoid handshakes and hugs.
- Disinfect high-touch surfaces at home, including door handles and tabletops.
Important Note on Usage of Masks:
Although wearing a mask is in itself not protective against the virus, we hope that this, in combination with strict social distancing practices and hand washing habits, will provide some effective means of preventing viral transmission. However, please consult your medical doctor for further guidance, especially if you are suffering from any pre-existing medical conditions.
If you are using disposable masks, please use them and dispose them off after use. Given the scarcity of this resource, it may be okay to use one mask for the day. For those who might use reusable masks, please make sure that when reusing such reusable masks, you wash them thoroughly with hot water and detergent and hot iron before wearing them again.
If you have mild, flu-like symptoms, seek medical help immediately by calling the numbers below. Distance yourself from others at home by staying in a separate room so you protect those around you until you are able to obtain medical assistance. Keep these phone numbers saved in your phones:
- Safety & Security team: 0746 777 728
- Aga Khan Health Board: 0743 110 114 or 0745 110 785
- Aga Khan Hospital: 0785 749 359
The National Council will continue to provide updates to the Jamat regarding the changing situation. We encourage everyone to keep checking in with family and friends for whom this time may be especially trying. The protection of the Jamat is our utmost priority and responsibility.
For more information on the importance of masks, you may view this video from Czech Republic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=HhNo_IOPOtU&feature=emb_logo