Updates on Institutional Programmes and Advisory for Returning Travelers
In light of yesterday’s announcement by the Prime Minister of Tanzania on closing schools for 30 days and cancelling meetings and seminars, the Task Force of the National Council for Tanzania would like to inform the Jamat that all events, institutional programmes, are suspended effective immediately until further notice. This includes Bait-ul-Ilm and the Early Childhood Development Centre classes.
Regarding travelers arriving into Tanzania, the Task Force of the National Council for Tanzania would like to inform the Jamat about precautionary measures, especially for those members returning to Tanzania from affected areas or have been exposed to a person who has tested positive for the virus. The World Health Organization requires all individuals who are returning to their home country from affected areas to self-isolate and monitor their symptoms for 14 days.
An individual may not experience any immediate symptoms after travel, but they should take the following steps during the 14-day isolation period:
- Actively check body temperature twice a day
- If you have developed a cough or have difficulty breathing within the 14 days, Jamati members are urged to contact local health care providers, preferably by phone, and inform them of the symptoms and travel history.
If emergency medical attention is needed at any time during the 14 days after your return, seek medical attention from a nearby hospital; however, it’s also advised to call the hospital beforehand.
For more information on quarantine and isolation, please visit Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Further, on March 17th and March 18th, the Government announced specific measures that are being taken by the Government of Tanzania to reduce the risk of transmission. These are:
- Beginning today, all universities will remain closed.
- Effective March 17th, all schools from nursery to secondary will remain closed for 30 days. Form 6 examinations will also be postponed to a later time. The Ministry will advise on new dates for the exams.
- All large gatherings, which are not necessary, are cancelled effective immediately. This includes all seminars, meetings, conferences, exhibitions, festivals, political gatherings and all relevant social gatherings.
- All sports activities are also cancelled, including interschool games throughout the country.
- Do not travel outside of the country, if not needed.
- All individuals coming through any of the Tanzania international airports will be screened thoroughly.
The National Council will follow the directives issued by the government of Tanzania and keep the Jamat informed of new developments. We continue to monitor the situation and will provide updates through announcements, the Khabar website, WhatsApp, SMS messages where applicable, and The Ismaili Tanzania Facebook and Instagram.
Learn more about COVID-19 here: https://youtu.be/mOV1aBVYKGA
Frequently asked question on COVID-19: https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/q-a-coronaviruses