The global pandemic impacted everyone economically, socially and also, disrupted nearly all aspects of life for all groups in society. Many of us continue to experience its effects in different ways. Youth and young adults are particularly exposed to the disruptions of their regular education routine, economic opportunities and socialization during a crucial stage of their life. Regardless of all of these external changes, we can continue to be mindful of how to take care of ourselves to keep stress away. Here are some steps youth can take to keep physically and mentally fit:
- Follow a routine: Keep up with the same daily routine as much as possible, or make new ones. Here is an example of a strong routine:
- Wake up and sleep at similar times every day.
- Keep up with personal hygiene.
- Eat healthy meals or make a daily meal plan.
- Exercise regularly.
- Learn new skills online.
- Maintain social contact: Socializing with friends and family is very important as it helps youth maintain good mental health, and deal with anxiety or depression. This can be done over the phone by means of a phone call or video calls.
- Be moderate with playing video games: Video games can be a way to relax. However, be sure to take breaks in between to avoid straining your eyes and affecting your posture. Do some stretches and other activities during these breaks.
- Refrain from spending too much time on social media: There is a lot of information out there on social media and it may overwhelm our minds if we spend too much time reading through all of it. This may lead to reading unverified and unreliable news, which increases stress levels. Make sure to follow reliable media outlets to keep yourself and your families updated.
- Practice healthy hygiene: This includes washing hands with soap and water regularly, sanitizing when water is not available, and wearing masks during daily routines.
Note: The views reflected in the article are solely of the author and may not reflect the views of The Khabar.
Photo courtesy of: Harvard Business Review
Need name of author